Sunday, April 1, 2012

Aftermath - The Weight of Silence, The Lightness of Joy - by Lisa Slater

Last night, I got a phone call from a family friend who met my parents when my mom was pregnant with me. She had read my post about my sexual assault, and she called me to tell me that she was so sorry that I had gone through that, and that she was so proud of me for coming forward.

This morning, my mom wept in the car after telling me that she was so sad about what had happened to me. She said that it was amazing what we were starting with this here blog. She said that she had been watching over facebook as more and more people came forward to thank Jessica and I for telling our stories.

Over email, text, phone, I have been inundated with people reaching out to tell us their stories, to offer their solidarity and support, and to ask how they can get involved. Thank you. I didn't know that I needed this, but I did. I did.

There will be many people continuing to write new blog posts, develop vision and a strategy for how we can move forward. Please stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your courage to share your story Lisa. Many of us look up to you. I think you have opened a door for others to break the silence. mompoet aka Sue McIntyre

    ReplyDelete